This project is called ‘Am I Blue?’. It is about illness and survival, hope and regret, being both joyful and fearful. It derives from my experience as a HIV+ man and a long term survivor. I hope that this work resonates with others who have similar experiences and with those who have loved them.
In the last few years, I’ve been creating visual images that capture different aspects of being positive. Facing HIV has been a major task of my life. These images expose the struggles that might exist alongside well-being and gratitude.The effects of years of loss, uncertainty and survival has marked me in many ways creating unexpected symbols and unforeseen reactions. I’ve seen other respond in similar ways. Some of my self portraiture, not only represents myself but also others.
The initial work has broaden to form a second bodies of work called “The Materials of Survival“. It uses the drugs and other paraphernalia that a HIV+ person needs to interact with in order to live with this disease.
Some of the photographs from this series have been presented in the following shows and forums:
- 2 images, Am I Blue? and Tx – R.I.P. (Eat/Mourn) are in the Lexhibition at the Center, April 2015
- 3 images were selected for the curated online gallery show, HAART in Art (September 2014, Visual AIDS.
- A featured article in RFD Magazine, Issue #158, Summer 2014.
- Lecture for Photo 52, Photographers and Their Images at City College of San Francisco on September 16, 2013
- “Angels of the Grove” and “Eat/Mourn” – Gallery show, Queer THE Now at Los Medanos Art Gallery in November- December 2013.. See the Facebook Event.
- “Am I Blue?”
- Juried panel. CCSF Photo Department – 75th Anniversary Show at Rayko Photo Center – Jan-Feb 2014. My photograph was featured in the San Francisco Chronicle and SFGate.com review of the show.
- Juried panel. Kinsey Institute Art 2024 Show. May-July 2013. In the Grunwald Art Gallery, Indiana University.
- Group show: Queer and Now, 17th National Queer Arts Festival – June-July 2014